What is the function of sandblasting and polishing?
Sandblasting is a surface treatment method that removes material and improves surface quality by blasting high-velocity particles, such as sand, onto the surface of a workpiece. This method is mainly used for cleaning, removing dirt and improving surface roughness. Its functions and advantages include:
1. Remove dirt and impurities: Sandblasting and polishing can effectively remove dirt, pollutants, rust, oxide layers and coatings on the surface of the workpiece. This restores the original appearance of the workpiece and provides a clean surface for subsequent processing or coating.
2. Improve surface roughness: By selecting sandblasting materials with different particle sizes, the roughness of the workpiece surface can be changed. This is important where a certain surface roughness is required in lubrication, sealing and coating applications.
3. Prepare the surface: Sandblasting and polishing can be used to prepare the workpiece surface to improve the adhesion of subsequent coating, spraying, bonding or coating materials.
4. Remove welding slag and cutting marks: Sandblasting and polishing can effectively remove welding slag, cutting marks and unevenness on metal workpieces, thereby improving the appearance and quality.
5. Enhance material surface: Sandblasting polishing can be used to improve the surface properties of materials such as metal, plastic and glass, including corrosion resistance and wear resistance.
6. Clean the workpiece: Sandblasting and polishing can also be used to clean the surface of parts, devices and equipment to ensure their normal operation and extend their life.
7. Hygiene and food safety: In the medical, food and pharmaceutical fields, sandblasting and polishing can be used to improve the hygiene of the workpiece surface and reduce the chance of bacterial growth.
8. Customized appearance: Selecting different particle sizes and material types allows for customized surface effects to meet specific aesthetic needs.
Sandblasting polishing is usually performed in a sandblasting machine, where compressed air blasts sand particles onto the surface of the workpiece. This method is widely used in various industries to clean, improve surface quality and prepare workpieces to meet different needs.